Sunday, October 30, 2011

Love Forever with a Color and Sketch Challenge

My in-laws had an incredible love for each other, one that lasted them well over 60 years! I am so thankful that I got to know them and I'd rather hear their stories of trials and triumphs over the years better than reading a romance novel or watching a chick-flick any day. Probably because they are real people, and I figure most novels and movies are not! Ha ha! Sadly, my mother-in-law passed away almost eight years ago, and my father-in-law's health has been steadily declining over the last couple of years, but his face still lights up when he talks about his sweetheart! My sister-in-law shared this picture of them taken about 35 years ago. It was a candid shot taken at a relative's wedding reception but, like alot of candid shots, it really captured "them" as a couple. The look on his face says, "I'm a lucky devil and don't I know it!" while her face just shows joy for the moment. Awww, it's such a sweet picture......I HAD to scrap it, of course! And true to my usual way, it's laid on my desk for a while now, just waiting on the right inspiration and muse, which I finally found in the combination of the color challenge at the CR84FN Color Challenge and the sketch challenge over at PageMaps.

Here's the inspiration for the CR84FN challenge:





















And here's the sketch at PageMaps:



















And finally, here's my page:

I obviously moved some things around from the sketch, but that's the great thing about sketches, right?!? :) I used gray acrylic paint with my stamps to get the two hearts at the top. I stamped the "Love" and fussy cut it out, then edged it with more gray paint and popped it up on foam tape. The quote at the top center is a vellum piece, and I always seem to struggle with how to attach vellum pieces without the adhesive showing. So, I usually end up using brads or eyelets, or my Xyron X sticker maker if it's small enough. This piece was too big for the X, and I didn't want to use brads or eyelets, so I set out to find a new way. I took a square of vellum scrap, which I had cut off the quote piece to get it to the size I wanted, and ran it through my Xyron X, took the clear film off and turned it over and ran it through the X again, which put adhesive on both sides of the vellum piece. Then, I took my 1/4" hole punch and punched out four circles which I used on each of the corners of the quote. When I stuck it all down, the adhesive backed circles just disappeared. Ah ha! I love it when a plan comes together! The hardest part of the process was taking the backing off those little circles to expose the adhesive! Hard to do when you don't have finger nails! :) Back to the page, I used a border stamp to stamp the ribbon. I wanted "Forever" to only show once, as part of the title, so I just took a Post It note to block that part of the stamp off when I inked it up, stamped the diamond shapes along the ribbon until I got to where I wanted the word Forever to show and then I inked up the entire stamp. Things were going according to my plan, until I got to the flower. This is not how I wanted my flower to look, at least it's not what I had visualized in my head. I tried all different techniques, searched the web for tutorials (I'm SURE I saw a flower on the web like I had visualized it my head, my brain is not THAT originally creative, after all), but after two days of struggling, I gave up. I hate when my brain sees something, but my hands are inept to create it. But, I did end up with this flower that I liked so I glued it down quickly before I had a chance to talk myself out of it. After all, as I have to keep reminding myself, I'm not trying to create a Mona Lisa or a Sistine Chapel here, I'm only making a scrapbook page! :)

Anyhow, I hope you enjoy my page and thank you for dropping by. Hope you have a great rest of the weekend, and a very safe and Happy Halloween!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful LO! Wonderful photo and that flower looks great! Thanks for joining along with CR84FN :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful layout for a sweet memory! Thanks for joining us at CR84FN! ~Hugs, Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a special keepsake for you. Thanks for sharing this heartwarming story. My parents eloped at 17 & 19 and have been married ever since...54years!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is a super layout and thanks for sharing the story of your in-laws too. You're right - it's a great photo. Thanks for playing along with CR84FN!

    ReplyDelete