Saturday, July 14, 2012

Counterfeit-ing Fun

Counterfeit-ing is fun!  Counterfeit Kitting, that is!  I've been lurking around over at Counterfeit Kit Challenge for quite a while now.  Each month, they profile a designer scrapbook kit then challenge you to come up with your own version of it using your own stash.  Then they give you tutorials on how to make your own counterfeited embellishments, rather than buy, and they even give you challenges to use your "new" kit.  I *love* the concept!  Who wouldn't?  But, I was just never sure if using a kit was for me.  I've been concerned that I wouldn't have any pictures to use to match the kit, or that my pages would all start looking the same, or that I would simply get bored with just choosing from a select few items.  But, I've so thoroughly enjoyed watching the design team and other followers build their kits, make their embellies, and create so many pages.  And I noticed that none of their pages never looked "all the same" but instead had lots of variety and fresh looks, and covered so many different types of pictures (events, etc.) and, more importantly, they were all having so much fun!  Well, I finally just had to give it a try!  At first, I thought I'd keep in small and simple, you know, just to try it out.  But, as you will see below, I kind of got a little carried away, and well, it's anything but small!

This month, the Counterfeit Kit Challenge's inspiration is a kit called Summer Boardwalk from Citrus Twist:
 I love the colors and the feel of this kit, and I could already mentally pick which photos in my photo box I could use it for!  I went to my stash and started pulling things!  I, sadly, am so out of "fashion" with my scrapbook supplies that I did not have any of the trendy chevrons, or that beautiful coral color, or even any of that brilliant turquoise, all of which I love so much!  But, I made do with what I do have and I think I captured the same feel.  Here is my kit, that I call "Summer Twist":

With some of the sheets, I pulled two of the same design, in case I wanted to make 2 page layouts and needed the extra, while others are singles (mostly because they were the only one left). I also added lots more cardstock than the inspiration kit because I find I typically use alot. I also included some scrap pieces and sheets from some small paper pads (seen in lower left corner). I even included a piece of repurposed packaging because it happen to be laying on my craft table and it matched (lower right corner)!  Instead of a vintage book page like the inspiration kit had, I just included some text patterned paper.

Here are the embellishments that I pulled together:

For alpha's, I pulled the unused sheet from a store bought page kit that I never used and I also pulled my ColorBok Alpha Punch Out Pad. I've had that pad for years and have used so little of it, but not sure why. It has like a dozen different color of alphas in there, all of which match this kit. So, hopefully, I can finally use some of it! If I should find that I need something else, then I reserve the right to pull out either my alpha stamps or alpha die cut sets (my "fall back" teams!). I've included some cardstock flowers, frames, jeweled brads, and journaling tags. Instead of thread like the inspiration kit, I have some old "fibers." Remember that stuff? Instead of washi tape, I just have ribbon and some border stickers. I've included some already sewn bits of cardstock (left over from another project but too neat to throw away). Instead of linen fabric, I have some scrap white sheer fabric. I thought it felt light and breezy, and reminded me of summer. I discovered I don't really have that many phrase stickers or cardstock phrases, but I just threw in what I have. The only stamp I pulled is my new Seven Gypsies journal block stamp. But, I have soooo many phrase and word stamps, and well just stamps in general!, that I reserve the right to pull from them as I go along. I included some white, off white, blue and green buttons, and even some beach themed buttons, since I hope to use this kit for some beach photos.

The inspiration kit has some really neat shaped wood pieces, of which I have nothing like in my stash. I did include a couple of phrase stickers that I found that had a woodgrain-ish background, and some heart and star shaped buttons that had a woodgrain-ish appearance. I also hope to try my hand at counterfeiting some more wood grain embellies using the tutorials that CKC has already posted.

Well, that's it for my very first counterfeit kit! I have to say that I'm quite proud of the kit I've pulled together, and I had a LOT of fun doing it! Counterfeit-ing is fun! I'm sorry I haven't tried it sooner! Now, I'm afraid I might have made a little TOO BIG of a kit, especially when you consider what little scrapping time I have these days. But, I figure it's a learning experience either way, I can always keep it together and use it even after this month is over (after all, there are no rules or expiration dates), and the worst that can happen is that I have to put all the stuff back where I got it from in a few months if not used. But, in the meantime, I could possibly get alot of use out of it and possibly/probably will use up alot of my stash and get some great pages for my albums!

Yeah, I think I like my counterfeit-ing. Now, to start using it!

Until next time, happy crafting!

9 comments:

  1. Lovin your kit! I love having choices so I typically make really large kits. This month I tried to pare down my kit and I've nearly used it up. I am going to have to make another one just to get me through my stack of pictures that I am working on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Julia! I'm hoping my rather large kit will keep me with plenty of choices, too. I guess each month and each kit can be a learning experience for us all, like now you know that, for you, the bigger kits work better. Isn't scrapping fun like that...no set rules, just what works best for you! Thanks for taking time to comment!

      Delete
  2. Love your kit. This is my first month to join in too and I haven't done so much scrapping in such a tiny amount of time in ages. I think it is because I don't have to waste so much time every time I sit down to thinking about what to use. I hope you also get lots done :-)
    Chipper

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Chipper! Thanks for taking time to comment on my post. It's comforting a bit to know I'm not the only newbie at CKC this month! And I'm hoping that I, like you, find that the kit actually helps me scrap more. I can spend WAY too much time agonizing over what to use, too!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for swinging by my blog. Your 'arrow envy' comment had me ROFL!!!! Hehehe

      Delete
  3. Even without the 'trendy chevron' I think you've managed to capture all of the colours!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job counterfeiting! You have some really wonderful embellishments here. So glad you decided to jump in and join use!

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that you decided to join us in our counterfeiting racket. I think you've done an admirable job of shopping your stash for items with the feel of the inspiration kit. It's all about making do. And if you already have the photos in mind too, you are definitely a step ahead of where I start. I look forward to seeing your pages.

    ReplyDelete
  6. lovely that you have decided to join in and have some fun with us all! your first kit is really great and you are going to be so inspired to make gorgeous layouts with it! look forward to seeing you over here more often!

    ReplyDelete