Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Copy That & MIA

It's that time of month again!  Time to play with Counterfeit Kit Challenge.  This month's inspiration kit is the Birds of A Feather August 2012 kit:



I really like the colors and the embellishments.  And some of the embellishments look like they'd be really easy to copy.  (Bonus!)

I didn't get to play *i.e. scrapbook, craft, create, make kits, etc.* as much as I'd have liked to the last couple of months.  (More on that in a minute.)  But, because of that, my July counterfeit kit has gone completely untouched and it's too good of a kit to just put away and forget.  (August was completely skipped, but more on that in a minute.)  So, I decided to go with a small kit for this month.  Here's my version of the September kit that I call "Let's Play" (because it's time for me to get back to playing/crafting/creating/etc.):
It all started with the star paper in the top right corner.  As soon as I saw the starburst paper in the inspiration kit, I thought of this star paper in my stash that I'd been holding on to for like, forever.  I knew I wanted to do a layout of some pictures of my son when he was a toddler with this paper, but just hadn't "got around to it."  (How many things to we all have like that?)  So, I knew it was time to get it finally done! (*cough* Should I mention that my son is now almost 21 years old?  Nah, let's just move on....)  The rest of the papers were just pulled from that.  I didn't include any cardstock, because I thought the pattern papers in the bottom left hand corner can be used instead.  I will add cardstock as I go, if I find a need to.

Here are some purchased embellishments (stickers and rubons),  chipboard letters, stamps, bakers twine, and twill ribbon I hope to use up.  And, yes, you read the prices right on those two packs of stickers and rubons.  I only paid $1 each for those at a local yard sale.  (Score!)

Here are the embellishments that I made to copy those in the inspiration kit:
I used some Cuttlebug dies to cut the flowers from felt, and I went ahead and cut some stars too, since I know I mostly do boy layouts.  The "rulers" are to mimic the ruler washi tape in the inspiration kit.  I made those with  some ink and Cuttlebug embossing folders (except for the blue one which was cut from some product packaging).  The canvas banners and pennants are cut from some scrap material (my husband's old stained shirt that I knew I'd kept for a good reason!) and handsewn along the edges.  I decided to wait on adding any eyelets or brads until I'm actually using them on a page, that way I can color coordinate them if I choose to.  Otherwise I will probably just put silver eyelets on them like the inspiration kit has. The paperclips I made by just slipping some regular paperclips through some bows that I had received in a goodie package from a friend many moons ago and never used (used a spot of glue to make sure the bows didn't slip off).

Here are some journaling cards that I cut with some Sizzix and Spellbinder dies (then inked the edges of the kraft ones with white paint), and some hand made envelopes.  Not sure how or if I'll use the envelopes, but we'll see what happens as I go.

I, of course, reserve the right to pull more stamps (especially alphabet stamps) and maybe some brads or buttons as I go.

I hope to get to play with this kit, as well as my July kit (see my last blog post below for that one), and finally get some pages made for my albums.  Like I said before, I haven't got to play for a couple of months now and have been MIA.  And I certainly have missed playing!!  Unfortunately, I had some health issues to take priority, and they led to a surgery which led to some recovery time.  Thank God, and I'm thankful for the fact, it was nothing life threatening or will need no major follow up treatments.  But, it certainly caused an interruption to "Normal Life."  (Of course, that's a relative term, because is life really any thing like normal around here? Ha ha). But now, I'm at the end of my recovery where I feel ok, but not released to go back to work yet, so I can play (without the guilt) for a while.  Of course, in a week or two, it will be back to work and back to "Normal Life." :)  If I can be honest, it's a bitter sweet thing! :)

Thanks for dropping by and happy crafting!

9 comments:

  1. Hello Tish, nice to meet you. I started playing with the CKC gang about the time you stepped away. Your paper choice is delightful. Happy and warm. Excellent work on counterfeiting the embellies. I have not been scrapping near as long as you have, but I too have a loooonnnnnggg list of "want to scrap" papers and photos. I don't let the "guilt" bog me down too much,though. For creative souls, there will always be more ideas than there is time and energy. And that's a good thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wishing you a speedy recovery and plenty of time to play with your lovely kit - those colours will be great for little boy pages - I still have a ton of toddler scrapping to do and my eldest is 22!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tish, I feel silly now. I recognized you from your post on my blog (Thanks for stopping by) But you've gone and changed your sidebars here, didn't you? I am so colour oriented, I can't recognize people when they change their shirt! :S

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you are on the mend! When I started scrapping I committed to working at staying current while scrapping "backward". The photos I have left span the first five years of my 25 year old daughter's life! Plus all the copius amount of digi "forward" photos that remain unscrapped... I can relate! Fun counterfeits in your kit, btw :~) Happy scrapping!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This kit looks great! The colors look so happy and fun - definitely playful! Can't wait to see what you make with the kit!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad that you're on the mend and able to play along this month. Take it easy while you're getting back into things though - your health is so important.

    Love the idea of a smaller kit with lots of lovely embellishments! I'm sure you'll have a lot of fun playing with this bright and colourful kit! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I am glad you are back and on the road to complete recovery. Your kit looks great, you've already spent lots of time playing. Looking forward to more posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Such a bright happy kit perfect for a little boy! Good to here your feeling well enough to play too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great kit! And your handmade embellies are my favorite part!

    ReplyDelete